Sometimes the need for electrical repairs is quite obvious, such as an outlet or lighting fixture that isn’t working. In other situations, you might not have a strong indication that you can benefit from calling us at Brian Electric, LLC and having us come to your Durham, North Carolina home to perform electrical repairs. The reality is that most homes can use a few finishing touches in various rooms for a safer and more functional electrical system. If you go from room to room, you might find that some of these electrical repairs are either needed or would prove helpful.
- Kitchen- If you have an older home, it might not have GFCI outlets as is recommended and part of today’s building codes. Using an electrical appliance, such as a blender or mixer, puts you at risk of electrocution if it were to come into contact with water. A GFCI outlet could literally save your life and is an affordable electrical repair to have completed for peace of mind.
- Bathroom- Bathrooms should also have GFCI outlets, but another issue we sometimes see is excess usage of an outlet or the use of a power strip to accommodate multiple hair styling appliances. We can put in an additional circuit or more outlets to reduce the chance of an electrical fire.
- Laundry- Most laundry rooms have only outlets for the washing machine and dryer, but that may be inadequate if you also do ironing in this room or want to have other electronics, such as a radio, small television to watch as you fold laundry, or perhaps even a secondary refrigerator or small chest freezer.
- Porch/Patio- Do you have sufficient outdoor GFCI outlets for putting up your holiday lights, plugging in your outdoor theatre, and operating electric lawn care equipment? Most homes do not have enough, which leads to power strips being used and the circuit becoming overloaded.
- Hallways- There is nothing more annoying than trying to vacuum and not having an outlet where you need it so you can reach everywhere easily. Hallways are notorious for lacking outlets in the right spot, but that can be easily remedied. Another electrical repair that is common is changing hallway lights to a 3-way switch system so that it can be operated from both ends of the hallway.
- Bedrooms- Today’s lifestyles involve more power needs in the bedroom, such as for cell phone charging at night and watching television from the comfort of your bed. Some changes we can make include having an outlet on each side of the bed, enough outlets for your media needs, and something that is more common in Europe: adding a light switch with dimmer to each side of the bed so that you can get the lighting just right for movie watching, reading in bed, or off once it is time for sleep without getting up.
- Living Room/Media Room- If you are using power strips, please call us to put in more outlets for a safer environment for you, your family, and your electronics.